The cottage and Bed and Breakfast today
27 Sep, 2019
How to have a prosperous establishment with a guaranteed future?
If we go back 6 years, the market for gites and guest rooms was not so complex. The rise of E-tourism players such as Airbnb, Tripadvisor or Booking has multiplied the offer.
At that time the 3 key decisions to enter the market of gîtes or B&Bs were:
- Find an attractive geographical area
- Buying or owning a beautiful property
- Have a distinct and clear positioning (upscale, rural, …)
But unfortunately, although these tips are still relevant today, they alone no longer ensure the success and prosperity of an institution.
Today the point to be validated before starting are:
- Find a geographic location where you can be competitive. The main customer selection tool remains price. Don’t choose a region where prices are “soaring”. Attractiveness is no longer enough nowadays, you have to be competitive. Your location must also be easily accessible and have added value. This one can make a difference.
- Having a distinct positioning remains a must, but we must go further. Aim for a different positioning. Example: Life in a yurt. Offer them a different lifestyle, a different experience.
- Make service a major asset. You know that in the hotel business, that’s the key word. For a large number of travelers this applies today just as much to gîtes and guest rooms. You must therefore be irreproachable in the service and the experience you offer your guests.
- Have a concrete marketing and sales strategy. As with service, sales and marketing strategies are no longer terms reserved only for hotels. You have to think about the project in terms of figures, evolution and strategy. Get informed, study the competition and position yourself!
- Like all sectors that are highly competitive and constantly evolving, it is necessary to create an institution that will be able to evolve over time and be sustainable.
Validating all these points will allow you to have a quality establishment that will last, but be aware that there is a method of success but not a successful product.
So don’t worry, when asked the question: “What future for gîtes and B&Bs” or more incisively: “Do gîtes / B&Bs have a future? “The answer is YES, as these accommodations continue to meet travellers’ expectations despite strong competition. But it must therefore clearly renew and modernise itself while keeping the spirit of the “home” where the owner is the ambassador of his place and his territory, providing a real experience for his guest…
27 Sep, 2019
Did you like the article ? Share it!
More articles that might interest you
Booking.com have updated their payment options
Recently, Booking updated its payment method. Let’s have a look at how it used to be and how it is
6 Need-to-knows of Hotel Revenue Management
Hotel Revenue Management is a practice as essential to running a hotel as keeping a collection of ro
Hotel Revenue Management Strategies within the Industry
For many independent hotel managers or owners hotel revenue management or yield management is somewh
Revenue Management Software for Hotels
If you've just decide to take up Revenue Management for your hotel and you've just invested on a bra
5 Best Smartphone Practices For Independent Hoteliers
Smartphones have come to play a fundamental role in our lives. If you’re not Googling, reserving a
Hoteliers: Check in to TikTok
How can hoteliers increase their direct bookings using TikTok? TikTok is the next big hotel th
Introducing SmartPricing by Amenitiz
We at Amenitiz are proud to present your newest essential tool. With SmartPricing by Amenitiz, knowi
To do or not to do - that is the hotel breakfast question
When you take away all the trimmings - put showers where the two person jacuzzis are and regular bed
Send Out the Google Hotel Search Party
Hoteliers Assemble - GHS is Here to Help! We’re almost at the point where the word Google can step